Monday, May 21, 2007

Big Stuarty’s Experience

Arrived in Fort William on the Friday afternoon, after getting the bikes out to check we had few minor problems, I had a flat tyre renewing inner tube. Tommo from our support team promptly repaired it and was ready to go.

After the Pasta Party, the map for the challenge was on a board for all to see. It was then I realised that the route was not as flat as I had thought! A nice relaxing night in Fort William, after a not bad night’s sleep made our way to the start point 6:15am. Having said I had no nerves on Friday they certainly kicked in on the Sat am…made our way to Neptune Staircase and we were under starting orders.

We started dead on seven bells, the first 10 miles were relatively flat with plenty of potholes and being the gentleman of the road I let everyone pass me by. Plenty more hills up and down then arrived at the 2nd drink stop. Back on our merry way, it was then I discovered that the Great Glens were really hilly and bumpy. Up more steep hills when most participants had to get off the bikes and push, I was no exception. What goes up must come down and on coming down I hit a big boulder and somersaulted of the bike and landed in bushes. After getting some attention from the steward and a medic I dusted myself down to continue onto some flat terrain at Loch Oich with a relatively flat journey over to Fort Augustus.

After checking in I met up with my long lost team and after replenishing my fluids and food intake we left Fort Augustus. 5 mins into the walk another punishing hill!! I quickly realised that I would be holding my team mates back. After reaching the top of the hill we had a bit of a debate about walking as a team, I suggested that they go on ahead as I was beginning to think I would hinder them which would definitely take its toll further ahead. The pace the rest of the lads were going at was definitely more quickly than I would ever be able to do and I was struggling with my breathing. I think in my heart I knew that I would probably only manage Bronze and if the team kept up at my speed this would almost definitely impact upon their finishing times as they were striving for Gold.

When they finally agreed to go on without me it was like the ‘monkey was off my back’ so I took stock of the situation and carried on at my own pace and took in some of the breathtaking scenery. This was the life. I was appreciating these amazing sights on my doorstep. I had previously gave Laura & Melissa (my wife and daughter) a call on the mobile as they were travelling up to meet us. When I had spilt from the team, I got a bit emotional as it then struck home that I was only going to manage my best (Bronze). I had plenty thinking time remembering my best friend I had lost to cancer, this was what this was all about...

I put on my ipod and listened to some prepared music. I was listening to Charlotte Church, the Voice of an Angel. I text Laura saying I was walking with Charlotte in the woods”. We had a laugh later as my wife had casually said to her fellow travellers “Aw Stuart must have met a walker called Charlotte to keep him company!!” My daughter was quick to set the record straight “No mum it will be Charlotte Church on his ipod!!”

After walking for several hours I heard the band which sounded close by but turned out to be about 4 mile away. I finally reached Invermoriston and the first two people I saw was Tommo and Mo, our support team. I went into the check point to inform them I was retiring.

The entire experience for me was the biggest challenge of my life and also one of the best. The organisation from The Maggie’s Centre you could not fault. The support and generosity from my family, Laura, Andrew, Stuart & Melissa and friends has been amazing. A big Thank You to Tommo & Mo, they were absolutely superb. My Bronze medal now takes pride of place.


I would like to add that I take my hat off to me fellow team members, Steven, Alan & Scott. They were tremendous and showed true team spirit and determination and were rewarded with their Gold finish.

Finally there are rumours flying about that I am signing up for ‘The Great Wall of China’!!! The nearest I will get to that is the Chinese Restaurant in Lothian Road, Edinburgh… Dunfermline to Edinburgh – 18 miles…a dawdle!!!

1 comment:

jake said...

Well Done Stuart!!!