Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Hurry Up Saturday!!!

Not only is it a big week for Scotland - there is an election tomorrow apparently - it is a big week for all the Monster participants and their support teams. With a few days to go, I am sure most of those taking part, especially those doing it for the first time, are thinking about it more and more. Nerves, excitement, panic (and worry about this foot of mine) are all coming round in equal doses. Like a wee boy at Christmas, I am just counting the days and willing Saturday to come.

I am sure it will be a pretty emotional day for a lot of people and our team will be no different. The event is a physical challenge and that is a big motivation but we are all motivated by other factors. For me, it is a simple way of saying thank you to the Maggie's Centre for their support and kindness at a time when my life was turned upside down. It is also something I want to do in memory of my dad and other members of my family who have we have lost to cancer.

I heard a story about one participant who battled against cancer and was given the all clear only to be told that recently that it had returned. I am not capable of putting into words the courage and strength of character that this person is showing by insisting on taking part on Saturday and refusing to let their illness stop them. If my foot starts hurting, I think I have found my source of inspiration to allow me to carry on.

No comments: