Saturday, May 26, 2007

Start: Neptune's Staircase (30 miles)

Ok sports fans and fellow athletes, here we go. I have just read the final chapter of Jake and Paul's blog and felt compelled to catch up. If you havent read it, head over here. I guarantee you that many of the participants in this year's event will read it and find many of their experiences very familiar.

The alarm clocks on 5 separate mobiles woke us at 5am. I have never seen Scott get ready so quick in all his life. Our digs were a stones throw from the assembly point (fluke!) and we got down there in plenty of time. We had been fairly thorough in our preparations and bought/borrowed most of what was recommended for kit...except midgy repellent. 6am - tons of the wee blighters.

We were up at the start for what seemed like ages, but was probably only 20mins. Our man Dave - (David Fox-Pitt) who is surely born for radio voiceovers, gave us the last rallying call and off we went.

We tried to keep together as a four but this soon proved difficult. You were too busy concentrated on avoiding the big potholes and allowing room for those wanting to overtake. Shouts of 'coming through on your left/right/through the middle' became common place. It seemed like everyone was flying past me in the early stages.

I vowed after the cycle stage that from now on, no member of Team TLDADs could ever utter the phrase 'there is a hill coming up' on the Dunfermline Cycle Path. Compared to the Maggie's course, Dunfermline is the Netherlands. We had cycled 30 miles loads of times but never a route this challenging. Why I was so surprised that there was so many hills in the Highlands is beyond me, but after a few steep ones, I got off and pushed the bike up the hill. I figured if I was going to be out here for a day, I might as well save my energy early doors.

Cycling uphill was a nightmare but coming down them was a sheer adrenalin rush. I completely forgot that my bike was in danger of falling to bits and roared down the hills with no fear. I was skidding round the corners like Jason Crump (Speedway World Champion) and having a great time.

The last couple of miles heading down the canal path felt great. The hill section before that was not so good as there was a lot of traffic, people getting off the bike without warning and a lot of people falling over. As I headed towards Fort Augustus I realised that my leg was getting sunburnt and so began my obsession to avoid further exposure and sunstroke. As me and Scott were heading towards the checkpoint we saw a jetty up ahead and thought how refreshing it would be to just cycle right off the end of it into the drink. Had we not had other plans - hiking for 43 miles - we might just have done it.

As I came into Fort Augustus, I thought about what lay ahead and whether or not my foot was going to hold up. I wondered at what stage the pain across the foot that had KO'd my final prep would kick in. I didnt have to wonder for long...

1 comment:

jake said...

Those downhills were brilliant!!! It's still what sticks in my mind the most.